Wednesday, December 30, 2009

A clean slate - December 30, 2009

I was looking forward to changing the calendar to the next year, it means I get to turn the page in Sadie’s medical book and start clean.

When Sadie was first diagnosed 11 years ago, someone told me (probably my mom) to keep a journal with the dates of appointments and a small summary of events. Maybe I didn’t’ take the advise cause I didn’t think this process would be this long. Maybe I didn’t take the advise cause I was ignorant. Whatever it may have been… I didn’t listen in the beginning.



In 2005 when Sadie’s condition took a swing in a direction it had not yet been in… I decided it was time to start keeping track. I grabbed a wire bound note book and started to write down the dates she had appointments and a very small summary of what was done at that appointment. In addition to this I keep a file folder for each year – one that holds all the insurance EOB’s – one that holds all the other information (blood tests, clinic notes, etc). For several years I have let the years in this folder run together, but today I am turning the page in hopes for a cleaner year.




I can’t say how helpful it has been to have this folder when I need to refer to a previous appointment or when an MRI, X-ray or when a medication change took place. If you are dealing with any type of chronic medical issue, this is a priceless tool.



Happy New Year - we pray for health and happiness for all in the New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment